I agree with the majority of your statement Gwynnie, but one. I do believe Fernmeadow knew exactly what she was writing and what reaction it would gather. No it was not done in a quirky/flower child innocent sort of way. Many will use the word humor to fall back on to excuse any statement that is not exactly met with great reviews. And she has made similar statements in the past. Humor is also a very clever way to b really be ugly without that taint of ugliness attaching to ones self. All that needs to be said in one's defensive is to shrug, smile shyly and bring out the word humor. All is forgiven. Words have an immediate impact. I find the best use of words is in the use of truth, in a frontal approach. Then one is never left guessing of the meaning. The words offend me, but I stand by the right for Fernmeadow to use them.
Laurie
And why did you assume I meant you? I took your word literally, that you found it offensive, so be it, freedom of speech.
I think anybody who can write a simple article and cause this much  controversy should be doing it professionally. We could have the next 50 Shades of Gray author right in our very forum and not know it  :lol:
Or talk about Ebenezer Scrooge :lol:
gwynnie wrote:
fernmeadow wrote: Well, in my long years one thing is very true of humans...if they can find something to criticize and judge they will.  Everyone has an opinion on something and everyone thinks they are right.  So here is my opinion and I don't think it is necessarily right but it is mine.  I know Rainy and I know she has the most amazing sense of humour...is quick witted and intelligent.  I respect her.  As far as her story goes I see it as humour, maybe not the kind of humour that some appreciate but in all truthfulness it is humour.  Religious views often get in the way of just seeing true intent.  I know parts of the story may be offensive and in actual fact have been offensive to some folks and I respect their point of view.  But knowing rainy and knowing her humour and knowing her heart I know that she did not write this to upset anyone but to give folks a laugh.  And perhaps she just needed to express some of her own frustration at how materialistic a huge part of our world is.  Whatever the reason I think we should all just sit back...take some deep breaths and not make such a big deal out of something so trivial as someone wanting to write a short story.  Let's appreciate the time we have with our friends, family and our chat pals and let's just be more compassionate people. That is my opinion, my thoughts, and I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas....however you spend it...xxx

Thank you Fern, however an intelligent person should have known that this kind of story WOULD be offensive to many people. As I recall this is not the first time that Rainy's 'amazing sense of humour' has caused offense.
Having said that I think maybe we should put this to bed now and relax and enjoy the holiday. Now is not the time for stress or bad feelings. If I have given any offense in my turn, I wholeheartedly apologise and wish everyone a very happy Christmas. xx

Sorry, Gwy...do not remember you at all
Encore rainy, encore, encore.
Rainy, why would you remember me,? I left quiz early as I sussed something strange.
OnlyDavit wrote: Encore rainy, encore, encore.

Thank you, davit
gwynnie wrote: Rainy, why would you remember me,? I left quiz early as I sussed something strange.

But you remembered me...did you suspect me of something? Of course, I would do absolutely anything to win the quiz...it's so important and the money!
Someone is having a senior moment? :wink:
More than a few here having senior moments. I feel like I'm back in grade school. Silent insinuations. Finger pointing. This is certainly the way to build friendships and relationships. The more I know of people the more I like my cat. He never sticks his claws out. 

You know there is a true saying, "those who can do and those that can't criticize".

So this is my last word on this, I stand by rainy because not only is she funny but sensitive enough to want to remove this storey. So you won, but really what did you win. Censorship. Beware, that is a dog that doesn't care who it bites.
rainywhether wrote:
gwynnie wrote: Rainy, why would you remember me,? I left quiz early as I sussed something strange.

But you remembered me...did you suspect me of something? Of course, I would do absolutely anything to win the quiz...it's so important and the money!

Rainy, your amazing sense of humour was sadly misplaced regarding the quiz. I think that perhaps do not realise that those of us who compete regularly do it in the knowledge that is it a light-hearted way to pit OUR wits, as opposed to a search engine’s, against each other. The only prize is that of knowing you have won or lost on your own merit.
To do otherwise is not only an insult to your fellow competitors but to Graham and BlackWidow, who give of their time and expertise, not to mention, patience. We laugh, argue and we tease each other but it is always good natured fun, which many of us look forward to each week, sad but true.

As far as your writing is concerned, no-one is trying to impose any kind of censorship, if it meets the site’s criteria then you are entitled to post whatever you like. However, by putting it in the public domain, you do invite people’s critiques. No-one, as far as I am aware, has asked for it to be removed.
It isn’t a case, as has been suggested, of winning or losing. Either you stand by your piece or you do not.
Amen
Mustangsally wrote: We could have the next 50 Shades of Gray author right in our very forum and not know it  :lol:

I intend to propose a joint venture with Rainy and, next year, I hope there wil be a gothic recipe book entitled "50 Shades of Gravy".
OnlyDavit wrote: s she funny but sensitive enough to want to remove this storey. So you won, but really what did you win. Censorship..

Removing the story is wrong. It was controversial and that's  not always a bad thing. I didn't understand it, but it was well written and she's entitled to post it. People will think what they think of it.

Look at all the nursery rhymes we learned as kids -- they never  turned out well.. Humpty Dumpty got hurt. Jack and  Jill got hurt. The old woman who lived in the shoe bordered on child abuse.   And what about three blind mice? Can you imagine what the PETA people must be saying about that?   :lol:
gwynnie wrote:
rainywhether wrote:

Rainy, your amazing sense of humour was sadly misplaced regarding the quiz. I think that perhaps do not realise that those of us who compete regularly do it in the knowledge that is it a light-hearted way to pit OUR wits, as opposed to a search engine’s, against each other. The only prize is that of knowing you have won or lost on your own merit.
To do otherwise is not only an insult to your fellow competitors but to Graham and BlackWidow, who give of their time and expertise, not to mention, patience. We laugh, argue and we tease each other but it is always good natured fun, which many of us look forward to each week, sad but true.

As far as your writing is concerned, no-one is trying to impose any kind of censorship, if it meets the site’s criteria then you are entitled to post whatever you like. However, by putting it in the public domain, you do invite people’s critiques. No-one, as far as I am aware, has asked for it to be removed.
It isn’t a case, as has been suggested, of winning or losing. Either you stand by your piece or you do not.
Amen

I have never used a search engine on the quiz ... it is quite obvious when you see how many I get wrong. I do copy answers that are posted if I do not know the answer...many times we are all wrong...we are all wrong. Do you really think that I am so smart that my answers look as though they have been received thru a search engine? I don't whether to be flattered or insulted.