This is great for get togethers; the recipe makes quite a bit of soup

1 lb. bacon, fried, drained well, chopped into small pieces
Do ahead, pepper bacon is great

10 to 12 medium-size russet potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
Add water just to cover and bring to a boil

Add while bringing potatoes to a boil:
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (Muir Glen or Hunts taste best for this recipe)
1 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, cut in the can (run a knife through them in the can)
1 regular package cream cheese cut into pieces
1 1/2 to 2 cups diced onion
1/2 to 1 cup chopped scallions
3 to 6 cloves diced garlic
2 6.5 oz. cans chopped clams w/juice
1 8oz. bottle of clam juice
1 to 2 Tbsp. Basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Simmer for 30 minutes, than add:
1 pint heavy cream

The longer the soup sits warm in the pot the more the flavors meld.
Serve with warmed baguette bread, any with a harder crust

Yields about 12 - 2 cup servings
Be careful, it will fill you up but you'll want more of the broth flavor
By day 2 this should be listed as a controlled substance.
Do not have a 3rd helping unless you wish to sit around moaning about your indulgence.
By day 2 this should be listed as a controlled substance.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joce I wonder if you have a recipe for a curry dish.  Curry chicken, shrimp, etc. There is lots on the net I know but I would prefer a recipe that someone like you has made already and know it is good. Thanks.

hubble bubble..
toil and trouble, Maggie?..
a tad nasty don't you think? 
Jaffa: 
hubble bubble..
toil and trouble, Maggie?..
a tad nasty don't you think?

I beg your pardon? :?: :?:  
Oh Maggie, Al used to make himself curry dishes and he'd put curry powder on things I made and I couldn't even be in the kitchen for that. Something about the smell just puts me right off food altogether. He never wrote anything down as far as curry recipes, it was all in his head. And lucky me, he liked to cook so neither of us got sick and tired of cooking.

Have a friend (the one who travels the world) who visits me about every other month and she's not a meat eater. We drove to the coast, picked up some prawns and I made shrimp alfredo with a ton of garlic in it. Huge hit for us both.
sorry Maggie..
laughing ..
just in reference to your comment
" By day 2 this should be listed as a controlled substance"
guessing it was all in innocence then :D 
Total mishap Jaffa, it was what Al had written on the recipe that I passed on, those were his words. He was saying the broth is so good you get hooked on it (it's really good).
WOW!  This chowder sound exactly what I need right now.  I have a doozy of a cold that won't go away and your chowder sounds like total comfort food. But ...blast it!  I have everything but the clams....I wonder if I should just make it with just the bacon.....I will let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for this recipe...Fern