Hi there,
I started a weekly mosaics class last year, now i am hooked. It's a weekly class and it is a long way to commute to. Anyone have any idea how i can bring this hobby to my home. Best wishes Marie 
What is this hobby about blackbird?  I have never heard of it.  :)
Hi Blackbird

Have you tried to google to see if there is anything that might be close to you? I did have a quick look on Amazon and there appears to be a large number of books on the subject from beginners and upwards. You will have to post some of your finished work in your gallery for others to be envious of, lol.

Jessy, mosaics is the art of piecing together small pieces of broken glass, tiles, stones and other mediums to create wonderful pictures. You have probable seen pictures of some of the old mosaic floors discovered in old Roman and Greek ruins. Both old and new are true masterpieces. People quite often have no idea just how long and how much work goes into producing these artworks. If only I had the time....... :lol:

Ron

ImageImage
Ohh, thanks Ron.  yes, I do know what it is.  I just didn't think about it earlier when I read that post.  I have seen some nice pieces, and some vases and bowls.  That would be a great hobby. I might just think about doing that this winter.

mi.lwcus wrote: Hi Blackbird

Have you tried to google to see if there is anything that might be close to you? I did have a quick look on Amazon and there appears to be a large number of books on the subject from beginners and upwards. You will have to post some of your finished work in your gallery for others to be envious of, lol.

Jessy, mosaics is the art of piecing together small pieces of broken glass, tiles, stones and other mediums to create wonderful pictures. You have probable seen pictures of some of the old mosaic floors discovered in old Roman and Greek ruins. Both old and new are true masterpieces. People quite often have no idea just how long and how much work goes into producing these artworks. If only I had the time....... :lol:

Ron

ImageImage

Thank you Ron,
I am far from being that good :D   I can not draw a straight line, even if my life depended on it. I was thinking of patterns, that are easy to be copied on tiles, supplies etc.
Yes Mosaics is becoming more and more popular. A friend took me to see a board walk the other day, but i doubt i could ever reproduce those intricate and delicate masterpieces.
I will have a look on amazon, for now, i will need proper tiles cutter. Would you believe that Bunning's our main hardware stores over here do not have anything in that department. It looks like i might get lucky purchasing online.
Thank you. I just finished a pair of love birds in glass. took me more than 5 Fridays, because it's a 2hrs class, which is why i want to work from home in Winter.
Best wishes
Marie 
Jessy wrote: Ohh, thanks Ron.  yes, I do know what it is.  I just didn't think about it earlier when I read that post.  I have seen some nice pieces, and some vases and bowls.  That would be a great hobby. I might just think about doing that this winter.

Hello Jessy,
I would love to see pictures of your mosaics pieces. It is a fantastic hobby. the hospice offers a weekly 2hrs class, but it is a bit far and made it quite an expensive hobby, travelling by cab. I myself, am trying to get organised for winter, because sometimes in winter it gets quite winter and my legs are not strong enough to keep me upright. perhaps we could swap patterns :) cheers Marie 
Blackbird, please read my post again.  I don't have any.  Just realized what they were when Ron posted and I hope to try some during the winter months. :)
Marie
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, but then, I do that to myself with all the various things that I do. We are our own worst critics, we pick up on all the small, minute mistakes, that to us they just leap out and scream at you. Actually, others do not see our mistakes and even when you might point them out, they don't really see them. Whatever craft you do, it takes time to learn it and with practice and determination, your skills increase dramatically in a very little time. You will learn to stand back and admire what you have done, and when you really feel warm inside and proud, then you have reached your milestone. Our work will live long after we have passed on, and with it, others will always wonder about the person who created it. I think of it as having obtained the closest thing to immortality.

If you're interested in patterns, just google mosaics under the image search engine. There are hundreds of designs there, both old and ancient and will give you inspiration to create your own. Tools should be fairly easy to find on line, if you look at sites that supply tradesmen. There are all kinds of tools for tile cutting and shaping that are used in the trade. At least with doing them at home, you can take the time to do things right, and not feel rushed by worrying how much time before class ends.

Good luck, enjoy your hobby and do post some pictures for all of us to see and admire.

Ron
Jessy wrote: Blackbird, please read my post again.  I don't have any.  Just realized what they were when Ron posted and I hope to try some during the winter months. :)

Ohh So sorry Jessy, "you have seen". Sometimes i do not pay enough attention when i read. Yes lets start this winter. I have been scanning the net to order my supply. It would be  great thing to do and it is so relaxing. Best wishes Marie
mi.lwcus wrote: Marie
You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, but then, I do that to myself with all the various things that I do. We are our own worst critics, we pick up on all the small, minute mistakes, that to us they just leap out and scream at you. Actually, others do not see our mistakes and even when you might point them out, they don't really see them. Whatever craft you do, it takes time to learn it and with practice and determination, your skills increase dramatically in a very little time. You will learn to stand back and admire what you have done, and when you really feel warm inside and proud, then you have reached your milestone. Our work will live long after we have passed on, and with it, others will always wonder about the person who created it. I think of it as having obtained the closest thing to immortality.

If you're interested in patterns, just google mosaics under the image search engine. There are hundreds of designs there, both old and ancient and will give you inspiration to create your own. Tools should be fairly easy to find on line, if you look at sites that supply tradesmen. There are all kinds of tools for tile cutting and shaping that are used in the trade. At least with doing them at home, you can take the time to do things right, and not feel rushed by worrying how much time before class ends.

Good luck, enjoy your hobby and do post some pictures for all of us to see and admire.

Ron

Hi Ron, I will be calling you the "wiseman" from now on. I have completed 3 pieces so far :) a pear, an apple, which i gave to a friend. The pair of love birds is yet to be finished. Apparently i did ok, but with MND the lack of finer motor skills and some spasticity in the fingers impedes on the finest of my work. But it is great occupational therapy.  I am currently doing a seahorse pattern with tiles, i promised to post pictures.
Yes i have already started scanning the internet for supply and i have found a couple of craft supply websites. I shall be all set comes winter. That was great  hints you gave.
Thank you Ron and best wishes Marie 
Mr IWcus and Jessy, i have just posted 2 of my creations in the gallery. one is still in progress. I must have your feedbacks :)
Best wishes Marie 
Hi Marie,

I saw your beautiful works of art tonight.  How long did it take to do them.  They are awesome my friend, I left some comments in your gallery.

Thanks for letting us know they were on display.

I don't think you will see Mr IWcus for a while as he is busy with his planting and gardening.

I will send him a letter.

Jessy 
Thank you Jessy, you are an angel. Always so encouraging and positive. I am so happy to be part of this community although i don't have a premium membership yet :). A beautiful weekend to you. The birds took me a good 2 months and that's because i only get to work on then on Fridays for 2 hours and i have loss a bit of speed and dexterity in the fingers. The seahorse i have been working on for 1 week now.
Cheers Jessy thanks for taking a peek at my gallery. Marie 
You are awesome.............AND...........you are in the hotseat, starting right away.  Have fun.

Hugs, Jessy :D  
I found this website a few years back....the software is free and a lot of fun to use :)

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/