Ok Ok Ok !!!!!
I need help. I have a very dear friend that ask for one thing from me this Christmas. Made from scratch corn bread dressing. Now My father made that, but I always made the bread crumb stuffing. I have went on line and tried a few recipes, and zip nadda. So folks give me your best shot! It must have flavor, onions, butter, whatever but FLAVOR and not have to be cooked in the turkey. Come on people am counting on you all. Post your best!!!! Will try a few between now and Christmas.
Laurie
Hi LadyL here is a recipe that might suit your taste buds.

Cornbread Stuffing

Yield: 12 to 18 servings Time: About 2 hours, plus time for the cornbread to cool Oil or butter for greasing the pan 2 cups medium-grind yellow cornmeal 2 cups all-purpose flour ⅓ cup sugar 2 tablespoons baking powder Salt 5 large eggs ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil 2 cups milk, preferably not skim 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter 3 medium yellow onions, chopped 8 celery stalks, chopped ½ to 1 pound ground pork sausage (optional) 2 to 3 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Cubed Stuffing or other seasoned croutons 1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage, or more to taste 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, or more to taste Black pepper 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, or more as needed 1. Heat the oven to 425°F and grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Beat 2 of the eggs in a separate medium bowl, then stir in the oil and milk. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, then transfer the batter to the greased pan. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and let sit at room temperature overnight if time allows. 2. Heat the oven to 450°F and grease an 11- by 15-inch baking dish (or a 9- by 13-inch baking dish plus a few ramekins). Put the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When it melts, add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until they’re soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a plate or bowl. If you’re using the sausage, add it to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until no traces of pink remain, about another 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. 3. Break the cornbread into 1- to 2-inch chunks in a large bowl. Add the onion mixture and the sausage (if you’re using it) along with the seasoned croutons, sage, poultry seasoning, and a few generous dashes of salt and black pepper. Toss to combine, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Beat the remaining 3 eggs and fold them into the cornbread mixture, then gradually add the stock, stirring gently to avoid breaking up the cornbread chunks, until the mixture is moist but not soggy. Transfer the mixture to the greased pan(s). Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes, and serve hot or warm..

Instead of sage (use savory) my mother use to make turkey dressing/stuffing in a baking dish as the turkey would take an extra hour when stuffing was in the cavity of the turkey. My mother's dressing was moist, but not overly dry. You don't have to add in all these ingredients if your looking for dry dressing. There is one thing I hate about dressing when it is heavy and soggy. 

I hope this recipe will give you some direction!

Snug xxx  Happy Thanksgiving to my American neighbor! 
1 cup butter or margarine, divided
3 cups white cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
7 large eggs, divided
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups soft breadcrumbs
2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
1 large bunch celery, diced (3 cups)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage*
6 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
1 tablespoon pepper

Preparation

Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan; heat in oven at 425° for 4 minutes.

Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk.

Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan.

Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.

Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, and set aside.

Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and saute until tender. Stir in sage, and saute 1 more minute.

Stir vegetables, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, and pepper into cornbread mixture; pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish and 1 lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

*1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage may be substituted for fresh sage.

Andouille Sausage, Apple, and Pecan Dressing: Brown 3/4 pound diced andouille sausage in a skillet over medium heat; drain. Add sausage; 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped; and 2 cups chopped toasted pecans to dressing. Proceed as directed, baking 40 to 45 minutes or until done.
Well I'll be darn, fish post a recipe that isn't out of source .....
I'm not a fan of corn bread but some times cooking less is more or I have found.Corn Bread is simply just that corn flavored Bread the trick is not let that be the over powering taste.Every year for Christmas not Xmas I make Oyster Stew some thing my Mom did ever since I can remember.Do your Onions Celery in Butter I know your a great Cook LadyL so you will know how much of each.Do a 50/50 Chicken Broth Butter Milk if your one that Likes or has Oyster Stew On Christmas save a little of that juice and add in.Now learned this from my Southern Brothers cooking along side them on the Ship secret to there cooking what is that a good Handful and a half of Sharp Cheddar Cheese mixed into the batch,Cheese tightens it all up gives it that Mmmm flavor and after new years you can go see your cardiologist to start your new year off healthy.FYI you like oysters chop em add them in.But really dressing is just that dressing for the Main dish that's your star of the meal not your sides But we all have those friends we want to impress and make there day so I wish you luck on finding that right yummy your the tops Dressing
stardaisy wrote: Well I'll be darn, fish post a recipe that isn't out of source .....

Now now Daisy.....don't pick on poor DaddyFish.....Laurie wanted a recipe and she got three of them. I know I wanted to help Laurie because Thanksgiving is here! I hope she tries all three. :)
Thank You all that responded. Will try them. Its nice to have people to help out in a pinch, again ty.
Laurie