We all look for someone to be a good friend or the love of our life. But how many of us look at where the other person came from, or their culture. Does this play a big role even before you get to know the person?
A lot do, and if they are not to fussy then it don't really matter? I know some people get married but their religion don't affect them as they don't allow that to affect their relationship. So I believe that if you are looking at cultures, then you would have to take that into consideration. A relationship of any sort is a two way street, it take both of you to make it work or not as the choice is yours. As one of the saying goes "Don't judge the book by it's cover".
I like to think I'm open to different cultures.  I don't think the religion would bother me so much but food is a big thing to consider especially where spices are concerned depending on how traditional your potential partner is. I was watching a show one day and they were talking kosher and having to have two kitchens, and no offense intended to anybody because our beliefs are what they are, but for me, that just sucked all the fun out of eating. So that's something to think about.
Mixing cultures can be a great learning experience - though I'm not sure about that when it comes to eating bugs! But I have come to love Sushi!

My wife was Japanese and planning our wedding (and her funeral) had to be approved by her very steeped-in culture family - we actually had two weddings, one according to her culture and one to just "have fun (a Medieval theme)".

You don't have to embrace a culture to experience it and learn about it - and to share your own! Now, if I could just figure what Jaffa is talking about half the time... (vegemite? Ewwwwww) :lol:

-DF
stardaisy wrote: A lot do, and if they are not to fussy then it don't really matter? I know some people get married but their religion don't affect them as they don't allow that to affect their relationship. So I believe that if you are looking at cultures, then you would have to take that into consideration. A relationship of any sort is a two way street, it take both of you to make it work or not as the choice is yours. As one of the saying goes "Don't judge the book by it's cover".

Your right. We are not suppose to judge who we are or where we came from. To me it's how much you care for each other. Sometimes even family members have there own opinion on who we see without knowing the person. But I keep my personal life away from family anyway.
Mustangsally wrote: I like to think I'm open to different cultures.  I don't think the religion would bother me so much but food is a big thing to consider especially where spices are concerned depending on how traditional your potential partner is. I was watching a show one day and they were talking kosher and having to have two kitchens, and no offense intended to anybody because our beliefs are what they are, but for me, that just sucked all the fun out of eating. So that's something to think about.

I can relate to that. But I was married to a Chinese woman a very long time ago. It sure didn't bother me at all to eat Chinese food for 17 straight years. Even thou it's so different how they cook at home then eating in a Chinese restaurant. The good part about it all is, I can see why there isn't allot of over weight Chinese people because of what they eat.
For some people, yes. Someone's nationality, or any other major difference may play a role in wanting to get to know a person. it is a matter of personal preference. My personal thought is this: If I allow any social difference to interfere with my getting to know someone, I may miss out on a great relationship.