How I got started in genealogy.
In 1994 I was at an Acadian family reunion at a school gym in Southern New Brunswick. My mother's family happened to be at the other end of the same gym. Soon after getting there she came back with a book about her family and her ancestors.
So I went to my dad's family area, searched and could not find the connection. I was not disappointed, just puzzled that we couldn't find the connection.
Later that same year I was looking at computer software in a store. I found a program called KinQuest. I bought it for 5 dollars. I assumed it was a game, KingQuest. When I got home I installed the program and I was surprised that it was not a game.
But I started to add my name and my parents' names, and so forth. Then I remembered that I couldn't find the connection to my family...and then began the journey.

I did research on my own for 3 years at the library. In 1997 I was asked by the library staff to show how to do research in genealogy during Heritage week. After that presentation the librarian organized a few informative meetings to get a genealogy group going. In May 1997 we had our first elections; I was vice president. The next year I was president and have been since.
I was interested to read how you became a 'genealogist'. I began to research my family history after my husband past away in 2006. At first it was just something to keep my mind occupied but I got hooked and have been trying to get it right ever since. My investigations have gone from just immediate to extended family, that is both sides of every generation. If you read this 'David' I would be greatful for any advice that you could pass on to a mere novice.
mumstheword wrote: I was interested to read how you became a 'genealogist'. I began to research my family history after my husband past away in 2006. At first it was just something to keep my mind occupied but I got hooked and have been trying to get it right ever since. My investigations have gone from just immediate to extended family, that is both sides of every generation. If you read this 'David' I would be greatful for any advice that you could pass on to a mere novice.

Hi. You have done the right thing by asking the family first. We always start with ourselves and going back. Sometimes you can find a relative who is doing research already, so that would be an asset. Next are the elder people who can be relatives or long time neighbors and/or friends of the family. In every family there's always someone who seems to know that 'stuff'. Some families may have bibles or books where the births, marriages and deaths were recorded.
Some families have books made after large family reunions. They may be at genealogy centers or the library.
Obituaries provide a lot of information about the deceased and his/her family, and where they resided at that time.
Information can be found in church records and censuses.
Some government sites have some records of births, marriage and deaths online. You could find the actual document.
You can check with any library, family history centers and genealogy centers near you area of research.
I did it alone for 3 years. Being in our genealogy center helped me on where to go and what is available. Meetings are never boring.
I use the software Brother's Keeper (BK6) by John Steed. Without a program I don't know if I would have started. The program can print various reports from your personal database.
That's it in a very nutshell. Good luck with your research.
How to do Genealogy.
I didn't know whether to start another topic or continue. So I figured I'd keep it all under this heading.
I have perfected the way I do genealogy through the years and even lately. Everyone does it differently than others and I have learned a lot from that. The important thing is that everyone is right. There is no wrong way of doing it. Just do it. If the person is starting out I will recommend a program and a procedure that they could follow. If they have been doing it for a long time I will share and compare the way we do it but I won't try to convert them to my way.
First and foremost, do indicate the source of your information. At first you might remember who gave you the information or where you took it. But believe me, after 80,000 names and close to half a million events, nobody's memory is that good. In fact, when someone tells me something about a person I'll say, where did you get that?
Second, I don't think that anyone does genealogy without a program except if it is about very close family, like the descendants of great grand dad. This is useful in family gatherings, where you can add new family additions. If you want to make sense of all the information that you are gathering, a program will do that for you. I recommend Brother's Keeper, BK6, written by John Steed at http://www.bkwin.net. I have been using it for close to 15 years now. I have noticed that some people go to Ancestry and they can pick from different optional family lines, but they can only access it online. I never use Ancestry, I go directly to church records or government records. But, like I said earlier, there is no bad way of doing genealogy.
Thanks for your answers I will get the program that you reccommended. unfortunately I have to do my research through my trusted computer. So I work with ancestry, findmypast and genesreunited. I am partially sighted and so am unable to get out and about as much as I would like. I know that if I were still able to drive I would be able to do so much more. However I have managed to get a lot of information working this way, of course there are certain types of information that I am unable to obtain. For example my husbans mothers family. I should like to find more about them and this is where I would benefit by going to the records office or church. Still I shall keep on trying.
Hello David & mumstheword

I am also doing ancestry tracing, it can be frustrating but so rewarding when you manage to track down that elusive one! First started 12 years ago. Areas of my ancestors are Dorset,Devon & Wales UK, currently researching the Ireland & USA link.

David, any idea how I can find out more information on New Weymouth, MA? This is where my great-grandparents were married, something must have happened as they didn't settle there.

Anything I can help with in the UK let me know. 
Hi David, Mumstheword and GenieG
Thanks for the tips on researching ancestry but I would like to add a note of caution!Be prepared for the unexpected and unexplained. While my brother was researching the family tree he spoke with a third cousin whose existence was unknown to us previously and it was through her that I learned that I am not who I thought I was. In fact my mother was my aunt, my aunt was my mother so my brother is my cousin and my cousin is my half sister and my father was nothing to do with me at all!Apparently my biological mother was married and her husband was away at war, she had an affair with a Polish soldier and I was the result. Because I was an 'inconvenience' the affair was hushed up and my aunt and her husband agreed to raise me. If only they had told me when they were alive it would have explained many things and I would have had the chance to meet the Polish side. All I have is my father's name and I am still hoping to trace the family. I wish you all well with your search and not too many skeletons in the cupboard!
My mother's mother's father's side has been traced quite a ways back. My 4th gr grandfather was a second Lieutenant to George Washington in the Revolutionary War. And his grandson my 2nd gr grandfather died in the Civil War. He had one son before he went into the Civil War. And it was him who came into Canada and married my gr grandmother.

My mother`s father was an OOPS but I did find out his father`s name but so far I have come up empty on any info on him. I have been trying to search out my mother`s father`s mother`s side lately. I did find a little bit of info.

On my father`s side is much harder to trace since his name is extremely common.

I have a distant relative in USA that does some searching for me on the ancestry site.
I am looking for a military record.  Its a german record.  back about 1865,  My Ggrandfather.
They started in training very young in germany.  all men had to train.  seems I think it was about
14 yr old.  I have him in  military suit.  I can not find any information yet.  Have you any
suggestions. 
zeecandle wrote: I am looking for a military record.  Its a german record.  back about 1865,  My Ggrandfather.
They started in training very young in germany.  all men had to train.  seems I think it was about
14 yr old.  I have him in  military suit.  I can not find any information yet.  Have you any
suggestions. 

I have tree back to 1535,  its great.  So many stories, but this avoids my every turn. 
Well keep searching.   
zeecandle wrote: I am looking for a military record.  Its a german record.  back about 1865,  My Ggrandfather.
suggestions. 

you should try ancestry.com it has lots of military records on, good luck.
I have been doing my family tree for many years (since about 1985) My experience has been one that my Dad`side of my family I have had to trace by visiting the Norfolk local record office, finding copies of parish records, censuses etc and using websites that have been mentioned. my Mum`s side has been partly discovered due to someone else on the internet having done the hard work on-line, that has gone back to the 1500s, but because I didn't actually do the actual legwork for that line, it was a little less satisfying, but results are results and I have been filling in the social history aspect of my family history, the story and not just dates and names. it is taking me a long time though because my research has to fit in with my work commitments. still I love it & my parents were just as interested, which was great. It can be just as much about luck as hard work :D