My hobby involves gourds that have been around since biblical times...I love to find a gourd with a perfect shape that I can paint, woodburn, carve or decorate....is it a bird, ghost, santa, witch, elf, chef, mermaid or some other unusual personality that is my challenge....I love to take something plain as a beautiful gourd and turn it into something that makes people smile...doe anyone else enjoy working with gourds....Nancy
That is a wonderful hobby! I never thought about gourds, never knew they could last. Please post some pictures of your work, would love to see it.
Laurie
Do you have to dry the gourds out first?  Won't they rot?  It sounds like a great hobby.  I used to paint rocks, but I am always looking for something different.  Tell us more about it.

Do you have any pictures?  
Being a Pagan and avid practitioner of Witchcraft, that "some other unusual personality" bit sounds a little offensive. Oh wait... yeah, I can see it. Nevermind hehehe. Great hobby by the way. Mine is rebuilding broken and discarded furniture. Have a Blessed Litha.
Hi zoejo12: Yes, I've seen them before and have seen them made into bird houses also. I hope you do post some photos, would love to see them. Thanks for sharing.
gourds are same family as pumpkins and squash but harden like wood...the seeds inside rattle ...yes also birdhouses....sculptures (like mermaids, hamburgers, bald eagles) I will post pictures hopefully tomorrow...Nancy
Once on one of my trips to Peru I came across those and I bought one .(Decorated of course) It was not actually a painted one but they used different stages of burning. This was supposed to be a bird where the stem was burnt black to make it look like the beak, the body was lightly burnt and was leather like beige, and the bottom was flat enough to stand upright. The seeds inside rattled and I remember one of the twins when 11 months old used it as a maracas and eventually destroyed it.

It was similar to the picture posted but was not so lavishly decorated but was a simple bird

Mutley

where is that boy?
zoejo12 wrote: gourds are same family as pumpkins and squash but harden like wood...the seeds inside rattle ...yes also birdhouses....sculptures (like mermaids, hamburgers, bald eagles) I will post pictures hopefully tomorrow...Nancy

I hope you post pictures of your creations Nancy, would love to see them!

*hugs*
Hi Nancy  I also love to grow and work with gords, the ones that interest me are the
queer shapes that grow and finding a reason to turn them into something.
Would love to hear from you Carole      newwomancarole@hotmail.ca 
Hi....I added a few of my gourd creations to my gallery if anyone is interested in checking them out...