I am thinking about hosting a get together, however my apartment is small so I want to keep my guest list small. Just a few friends, no booze, but something that is laid back. Tired of the same things like bbq chicken and potatoe salad. What would be some suggestions where the food isn't to elegent or to boring? I make some awesome desserts, but alot of ppl are eating healthier. Any suggestions or recipes? I am thinking of hosting the get together about middle of September.
That sounds like fun....how about grilled pork chop steaks...bowtie pasta salad (bowtie pasta, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, green onions sliced, green grapes sliced and cole slaw dressing).....fruit salad for dessert
That sounds really good. Never thought about pork chop steaks and they salad sounds really wonderful, never thought about adding those indgredents to a pasta salad. Yum!!
Surprisingly enough, this is delicious, relatively simple and can be made ahead. It's from a cookbook of recipes used during medieval times.

Boil up the artichokes and spread them open in the dishes you'll be serving them in.
Cook the rice, then add Blueberries and stir. Spoon portions onto the artichoke.
Bake a small piece of salmon, then flake it up and spoon it on top of the rice.

I know it looks odd, but it's very tasty.
I believe there is a recipe forum here somewhere.... an earlier member. "popeye", used to post some great ones!

View it here: https://www.50plus-club.com/forum/cooking-and-dining-f226.html

If you send me a friend request I'll be happy to refer you to some specialized (and tasty!) recipes for other diets, like vegan, diabetic, gluton-free and many more. :D

-DF
It's nice to go back to the classics occasionally,some specialty breads,cheeses,an antipasto,a few different salads..Greek,pear & blue cheese maybe,then some different meats and seafood,prawns squid..finally one dessert and a platter of cut fruit to finish ( put some interesting ones in )Then everyone can sit down and just enjoy a relaxed meal you included as you don't have to get up and down..everything is laid out.  :)
zoejo12 wrote: That sounds like fun....how about grilled pork chop steaks...bowtie pasta salad (bowtie pasta, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, green onions sliced, green grapes sliced and cole slaw dressing).....fruit salad for dessert

Zoejo, that salad sounds great. Just not sure what you mean by 'cole slaw dressing'. In the UK we have coleslaw, which is shredded cabbage in a sort of thin mayo sauce. Are you meaning the mayo sauce or the whole coleslaw? Can't wait to try it. :)

I have a recipe for a really nice rice salad, I will post it tomorrow.

Shopgirl, I will send my address for those awesome desserts. :lol:
Here's the rice salad recipe, hope you like it as much as I do.

Rice Salad

8oz long-grain rice
11oz can mandarin oranges, drained
3 spring onions, finely chopped
3oz salted peanuts (maybe omitted if allergic)
5 tbsps. mayo

Cook, drain and cool rice. Stir in other ingredients and serve chilled.
gwynnie wrote:
zoejo12 wrote: That sounds like fun....how about grilled pork chop steaks...bowtie pasta salad (bowtie pasta, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, green onions sliced, green grapes sliced and cole slaw dressing).....fruit salad for dessert

Zoejo, that salad sounds great. Just not sure what you mean by 'cole slaw dressing'. In the UK we have coleslaw, which is shredded cabbage in a sort of thin mayo sauce. Are you meaning the mayo sauce or the whole coleslaw? Can't wait to try it. :)

I have a recipe for a really nice rice salad, I will post it tomorrow.

Shopgirl, I will send my address for those awesome desserts. :lol:

hi >>>>when I get home I will post the entire recipe....the cole slaw dressing I was talking about is in a jar I think marzettas and 16 oz jar....so very good
cholocate and icecream 
Dinner party plans under way. Looks like it will be the end of September just before a motorcycle ride to the UP. Organic Chicken breast, whole green beans, small bakers and salad. Dessert will be a light but tasty desert. (haven't picked that out yet)
No booze cause I don't drink so what can I serve beside water or tea or soda/pop for a drink??
Elderflowers presse is really nice, very refreshing, or a fruit punch.