Marijuana & Mental Health Problems

Dual Diagnosis

The co-occurrence of marijuana use disorder and mental illness is commonly referred to as a dual diagnosis. Marijuana use is prevalent and has the potential for causing both physical and psychological dependence. In 2013, approximately 20 million people over the age of 12 used marijuana in the U.S. Thus, many individuals with a mental health disorder might also be using marijuana.

Marijuana and the Brain

Marijuana acts primarily on cannabinoid receptors in the brain. We naturally produce substances that bind to these receptors, called endocannabinoids. Marijuana contains a chemical called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which exogenously (i.e., from the "outside") binds with cannabinoid receptors. This leads to the psychological experience of being "high," along with the drug's action on other mood-regulating neurotransmitters, like dopamine.

Those who are sensitive to higher levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine, or already have higher levels, can experience: Aggression; Physical agitation; Anxiety; Panic. They could also experience some types of depression, mania, delusions, hallucinations and/or paranoia.

Brain Structure

The brain changes caused by intoxication are often mistakenly thought to be only temporary and only chemical in nature. Research indicates, however, that marijuana use also negatively alters brain structure. For example, marijuana used once per week has been associated with altered size and shape of brain structures, specifically, the nucleus accumbens and amygdala; responsible for regulating motivation and emotion. Another brain structure important in learning and memory--the hippocampus--also appears to be vulnerable to structural alterations as a result of marijuana use. It is not known if any of these effects upon brain structure can be reversed.

Marijuana's stimulation of dopamine release in the brain can increase these already troublesome symptoms or cause the dormant vulnerability to them to awaken. If you are suffering from an addiction to marijuana, you may have developed mental health problems that require treatment.

Mood Disorders

There are strong links between mood disorders (such as Depression or Bipolar Disorder) and marijuana use. Research shows that marijuana use may increase depressive symptoms in users; however, it is unclear to what degree social and contextual factors play a role.

Read more at:https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/marijuana-addiction-mental-health-problems/
Are you aware that not only Marijuana can do all that? People been using this stuff, but find it not the high they are seeking and can lead them onto something a lot stronger?

Also, it's not just Marijuana that can do all that in what you post :) Aspirin, Aleve, Advil, Tylenol can affect you that way too. Marijuana is a bit stronger in helping you deal with your pain.

But I have watch people before and after they use this stuff, it does affect their ability to function with some and with others it don't. I know a few who smoke this stuff and it don't affect them at all, in fact it help them even more to function on every day living.

So..... what the different between Marijuana and Gabapentin? ... All in all, what are they going to do with their pain? In pain, I mean all sorts of pains, not just physical pain, humans can be born with pain. So this is why parents were giving their kids Marijuana as the law didn't mention that they can't and were calling it "Herb" (Now they can't), it's up to the doctors now to decide what can be done to pain for any minors, if it Marijuana....so be it.

This controlled Substance can make a different with human lives and not so with others. Their body chemicals.

Babies are born with Arthritis, anxiety, and other pain that the list is longer than my arm.

Pain can cause worst/more damage to you than Marijuana.

Please accept my views on this much discussed subject and understood by so little

I have seen friends use Marijuana and go to stronger drugs I have seen some commit suicide .

But all had addiction issues of some sort and most mixed this addiction with alcohol abuse hence the suicide part,

There is people that will analyse this to its death but yet never have even tried it once. Please do not preach if you have not lived it.

Also on thge economy of all of this instead of criminalising everything and always having the same people pay for the solution lets concentrate on schooling accepting at a much lesser cost to society.

All things can be bad if not used in moderation (even food)

Live and let live invest in true knowledge not fear
Canadians who respond to this thread, defending their legal access to this drug have said they know of and have observed others having smoked the herb then suffer the consequences.

My point exactly.

Thank goodness that here in civilisation there are stringent laws against taking such drugs. In that respect, lives are being saved.
searching57 wrote: Please accept my views on this much discussed subject and understood by so little

I have seen friends use Marijuana and go to stronger drugs I have seen some commit suicide .

But all had addiction issues of some sort and most mixed this addiction with alcohol abuse hence the suicide part,

There is people that will analyse this to its death but yet never have even tried it once. Please do not preach if you have not lived it.

Also on thge economy of all of this instead of criminalising everything and always having the same people pay for the solution lets concentrate on schooling accepting at a much lesser cost to society.

All things can be bad if not used in moderation (even food)

Live and let live invest in true knowledge not fear

Well said!
cerberus97 wrote: Canadians who respond to this thread, defending their legal access to this drug have said they know of and have observed others having smoked the herb then suffer the consequences.

Except those who have ALS, C.P. ADHD, Epilepsy, Bi-Polar/ Manic depression just to name a few, so I am going to agree to disagree with you :)

It no longer called Herbs :) As Basil, Thyme, Rosmary are the real Herbs... It now called Cannabis in Canada.

Herbs isn't illegal. Never will be.
It's not me you disagree with, but the experts at https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/marijuana-addiction-mental-health-problems/ who know more and are better qualified
daisyjean wrote: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320984.php

"A recent study published in the journal Addiction also found that use of marijuana is increasing sharply across the United States, although this rise may not be linked to the legalization of marijuana in participating states. Nevertheless, this rise in use is prompting major public health concerns."

Precisely my point.