I'm in the market for a fresh car, I'm not very beneficial to the economy in this area of my life; I make my cars last at least 10 years. My old Mercedes is nearly twenty years old.

Of the few dealerships that I have visited, I see not much has changed. The salesmen still saunter up to you with that smarmy "How are you today?" like they really care. One even had the outdated white belt and matching shoes, you would have been proud of me, I didn't laugh out loud.

All I can say is "What is it about Cars and Men? They eat meals every day of their lives, yet never suggest they are Chefs; they get dressed and un-dressed every morning and night, yet never claim to be Tailors. But once they've driven a couple of cars, boyo! There's nothing they don't know about them.

I spent my entire working life designing and building cars for a corporation that was spread worldwide. While I am not what I'd call up-to-date on the subject, I do remember some things.

Maybe I'll seek out a saleslady and give myself a treat...
I did enjoy your post. It made me smile. May I suggest you goggle to find out what car you want, and to bring you up to date on whats out there. Majority of dealerships have their own net site so you can view what they have online and not even visit with a person till you have made up your mind. It is a way to cool and uncomplicated way to avoid "The Salesman" and his minions untill you are prepared.
Miss Information
TheLadyL wrote: I did enjoy your post. It made me smile. May I suggest you goggle to find out what car you want, and to bring you up to date on whats out there. Majority of dealerships have their own net site so you can view what they have online and not even visit with a person till you have made up your mind. It is a way to cool and uncomplicated way to avoid "The Salesman" and his minions untill you are prepared.
Miss Information

Thanks 'Lady', I have found a Lexus just a couple of years old with hardly any mileage on it. So this is it...I'm 76 this year, so this will probably be my last car. (It'll be cab-city after this one..lol) Wanna' take a Sunday drive with me? We can stop at some country cafe` and giggle across the table at each other...
Thank you! That is the best offer I have had in a long time.
:)
Laurie
I have been passionate about cars since I was 5 years old. I particularly know Jaguars very well. My knowledge of the cars spans from year 1932 to 1975 on most European cars and specifically on British sports cars. I have restored a few and enjoyed driving them and winning concours d'elegance shows.

However since I have immigrated to USA and settled in Los Angeles this love of cars has slowly died. The reason is that there is no respect or value attached to cars any more in the crowded, unforgiving and dilapidated roads in California. Often cars are vandalized and if there are any nice old cars they are bound in a garage to come out a few times in the year. As a result I have had the same car since 1999. It has over 300000 miles on it and it looks as though it came out of the showroom yesterday. I will keep it as long as it continues and that as long as spares are available. I am happy because I do not have any payments on it. I am also happy to say it was assembled in Canada. Mine is similar to this one below
I know I am old to this topic on the forum but must say very well written and witty .. Made me smile too .. 
Respect and hi from Ireland 
OK... Irish context here but .. Men are men and Cars are cars ..

Bemused 05.05.2014, 01:50 Can a man answer this if possible .. I walked to work today and the Rally of the Lakes was coming to the end .. I saw loads of rally cars heading back to base and no problem with that. .. They are passionate and skillful at what they do ..( mind you , why were they all doing an S formation, taking in both sides of the road .. No on- coming traffic, so it was completely safe ) But what is it with the boy racers ??? Do they get insecure by the presense of so many proffessional drivers or is it that they feel they have to imulate them ? All of a sudden they come out of the woodwork with their booming exausts and screech around corners and do donuts on the roads like little children in big dangerous toys .. My walk was risky today and had to wear my hi vis jacket at 2pm as to be sure I was noticed
A snail slithers into a Cadillac dealership and says to the salesman "I want the fastest Cadillac you have!"...

The salesman says "Of course sir! Will there be anything else?"

The snail replies "Yes. I'd like a giant letter "S" painted on each door, and another giant letter "S" painted on the roof."

The salesman looks at the snail and says "Why. of course, sir! But may I ask why?"

To which the snail replied "Because when I'm driving down the street I want everyone to stare and say "Look at that S-Car Go!"

:mrgreen: