Does anyone have any experience using an indoor antenna to receive television signal? For the three or four programs I would watch in a week, I don't want to purchase cable and 27 channels of drivel, nor do I want netflix.

If you have any suggestions or first hand knowledge, I'd like to hear from you.
I can't speak for you folks up north of us, but I believe some stations here in USA are required to transmit via the airwaves, as are many radio stations. Your biggest issue may be finding an old set of "Rabbit Ears" to receive the signals sent over our airspace. I also think you'd be very lucky to find a rooftop antenna and rotor to spin it for best alignment.

Might I suggest http://www.hulu.com? They have lots of the older shows and offer a free service (with commercials, just like TV) and have recently launched a paid, commercial-free option. Could be worth a look for you.

There is also a website called http://www.metv.com that also airs the older "classics" but I'm not very familiar with it - although I believe gwynnie is. She may be able to tell you more.

Hope this helps :)

-DF
Fishy ,my son put me onto Hulu mostly for us downunder who could access other countries TV..
 But a while back he told me not to use it anymore and it had some bad bug or virus thingie in it I asked him today if he had an alternative ,but he had forgotten the name of it.

Of course he could be wrong about Hulu or they may have eradicated the problem by now... :)
Thanks fish. I was looking at new antenna technology, and there's a lot of it around. I just wondered if anyone else had been using it, and what kind of issues they ran into. I could easily get netflix or Showmi, but I'm not interested in doing that as it's news and local programs (we have an election coming up) that I'm wanting. I may end up just catching news on the net.
apple, go into the channel sites..here for instance we have one ?three on demand..and you can watch all the news and programmes you want on your national TV channels(I have my TV hooked up to my PC)
     Hi, AppleMac;
     Almost any kind of tv antenna, indoor or a small outdoor one, will work to some extent because you live in a city.  You may have to hold it at an odd angle while you stand one one foot and feed the goldfish but . . .  I would try any tv antenna to start with - I'm sure there are lots of them around there - and go from there.
     Take care! 
Feed the Goldfish? OH, YEAH!!!! :lol:

-DF
Applemac wrote: Does anyone have any experience using an indoor antenna to receive television signal? For the three or four programs I would watch in a week, I don't want to purchase cable and 27 channels of drivel, nor do I want netflix.

Last year, or was it the year before, they announce that there will be no more antenna's, it will all be digitals T.V. If you have cable, in some places you can just hook up the cable to your T.V. and get the local stations, at least you can here where I live. But if you don't get digital T.V., no interent, that is how our package work.

Applemac wrote: Thanks fish. I was looking at new antenna technology, and there's a lot of it around. I just wondered if anyone else had been using it, and what kind of issues they ran into. I could easily get netflix or Showmi, but I'm not interested in doing that as it's news and local programs (we have an election coming up) that I'm wanting. I may end up just catching news on the net.

I often wonder about those technology, I suppose it depends on what area you live in, here we get a lot of wind and hail, would those things withstand the weather? Is it insured or guarantee?
Hi Applemac, I gave up TV several years ago. Like you I only watch the odd programme and find that I can catch up with them easily enough on the net. When I tell people that I don't have a TV some look at me oddly and say "But how do you get the news?" I always answer " Guest what? They have news on the radio!" Also as you say on the internet, with the added advantage that you can skip the uninteresting bits :D
Thanks Gwynnie, Although I could get 5 channels with an indoor antenna, I may just leave things as they are, although it's always a future option for when the library books are all read and the CBC's offering up George Strombo for an evenings entertainment.
stardaisy wrote:
Applemac wrote: Does anyone have any experience using an indoor antenna to receive television signal? For the three or four programs I would watch in a week, I don't want to purchase cable and 27 channels of drivel, nor do I want netflix.

Last year, or was it the year before, they announce that there will be no more antenna's, it will all be digitals T.V. If you have cable, in some places you can just hook up the cable to your T.V. and get the local stations, at least you can here where I live. But if you don't get digital T.V., no interent, that is how our package work.

The CRTC mandated that stations must provide over the air transmission or the would not be allowed to transmit via cable or satellite. The announcement from Rogers and Shaw was worded such that it sounded like people would be forced to purchase cable or satellite systems, but this is not the case.
Sorry, I must understood you, I was thinking last night what you were trying to say, you were looking for digital and not analog, I was talking about analog which no longer is in service with digital T.V. which analog won't work.

If you decided to go digital, there are lots of good companies out there, we just can't have antennas here due to the type of weather we have, our weather has damage lots of them and no one is getting them anymore as cable is much more safer due to the conditions of our weather.
Personally, I have satellite because I'm a Fox News addict. However, a friend has a digital converter (he has an antique TV) and an indoor antenna. His reception is greatly improved since all the channels switched from analog to digital a few years ago. He gets 8 or 10 channels pretty consistently. He lives just outside of Ottawa.

Hope this helps.

jaffa33 wrote: Fishy ,my son put me onto Hulu mostly for us downunder who could access other countries TV..
 But a while back he told me not to use it anymore and it had some bad bug or virus thingie in it I asked him today if he had an alternative ,but he had forgotten the name of it.

Of course he could be wrong about Hulu or they may have eradicated the problem by now... :)

Jaffa I believe it was a moctake - hulu is a very reputable company :)