My computer seems to be running slow - any idea's. I have done disc clean up and disc frag
i've been running slow for years Chris LOL
have you tried closing all un-necessary applications.
Also clear rubbish from the registry & delete cookies in explorer

Try a good program call ccleaner is free online
type Ccleaner in your search engine you should find the site and be able to down load

Its pretty easy to use

regards Twiz

By the way Humour has my e-mail if you need it
Have you tryed downloading the free Malwarebytes'Anti-malware,it might be spyware that is the problem.
Good Luck silverlady7.
You also might need to defrag your computer if you haven't done. Just go to the help menu and type in defrag and it will give you instructions. What happens is, every time you go to a website or download information, the computer stores it haphazardly throughout the hard drive, so, when it is then required to retrieve any information it has to run around the disk looking for it, somewhat like me in a strange grocery store. I find if I do this, plus delete all temp files periodically it speeds up. Good luck.
Also it is very important to clean prefetch and cookies in internet explore.

Prefetch are tracking files that store up on your computer and it slows it down.

We all have diffrent windows so I am going to explain it so that is in such a way that any window user can use it

In the start menu, type in the search box ... run and a small window will appear, type in prefetch and a notepad at the top left find organize and click on it then click on select all and organize again and then delete, then make sure you empty out your recycle bin or trash bin before you shut your computer down. This should be a daily task.
There are many reasons that slow down the computer such as too many programs are running at same time, not enough RAM, virus/malware infection, low space on hard drive.
I usually get flagged for posting this, but in the interest of helping you, read the 2 articles about virus/malware/spyware here in my archives: https://www.50plus-club.com/forum/fish-bytes-oh-fish-al-archives-t58588.html

Hopefully this won't get nailed as spam.

-DF
Oh, btw star, wiping out/deleting prefetch files can actually slow things down on your computer. Prefetch is similar to cache. For those of you non-techies, prefetch and cache are ways that Windows (well, browsers in particular) "stores" things like web pages, even entire sites, in "memory" so that when you, for example, hit the "Back" button on your browser, it just grabs the "snapshot" from it's memory file (prefetch, or cache) and loads that up right quick, rather than check to see if any changes have been made and upload the updated page(s) for you - increasing the load time.

You may have noticed that when surfing the 50plus forums. You click "Back" and the previous page loads up in a snap, appearing just like it did a few moments ago. Problem is, people have actually posted in those few moments and you don't see the updates - why? Because your browser used a "prefetched" page or a page file stashed in cache. Convenient, yes. Useful for the average user, yes.

In theory, it's a time-saver. And that's true.... but it may be loading outdated info. Info that's vitally important for those who may be following newscasts and similar dynamically changing content.

So, clearing cache, prefetch and even cookies can actually slow things down for you - yes, you'll be getting the most up-to-date content. And yes (when clearing cookies) you'll have to remember all those damned passwords and login info's again... but is it worth it just to gain a few milliseconds of "speed" while you frantically search for your bank account login stuff to see if you have enough to renew your 50plus premium membership?

Prefetch and cache are in place for your convenience. That's it. The most you'll gain is maybe a second or two of "speed". So weigh the risks before wiping out everything that makes your life easier in exchange for a tiny bit of "speed".

Hint - want the most up-to-date page? Do shift-F5 to refresh. This causes your browser to "force" a full reload of all page data. Mmmm.... fresh cuppa coffee!

Chances are, if you're experiencing noticicable slowdowns/freeze-ups, the problems are elsewhere. Time for a virus/malware/spyware scan.

I'm sorry, but I get sick of all these UN-NEEDED "tune-up" utilities available online and people suggesting to "clear your cache" to give your computer some sort of "super turbo boost" in speed. It's a myth and has been since before Win XP.

And since Win 7, has not been needed as the newer win OS's do NOT need, nor require these "speed" management techniques or "voodoo". So throw that defragger into your recycle bin. It will speed things up if you do. By approx. .3212 milliseconds.

View my profile to see where the Fish-BYTES! archives are now located to learn more about them. :)

-DF
Thaaaat nice Fishy, but my anti virus clean that out for me (clean prefetch files). Some that were coming in here were having trouble, so to clean out their prefetch files actually help them, they were then able to go anywhere on the computer. AND even able to log onto this site without troubles.

Prior to my anti virus program, I too was having troubles and to clean out my prefetch files helps me and was able to get anywhere faster and with out trouble, now thanks to the anti virus programs I don't have to manually clean it.

Happy surfing :D

PS.... I use to chat a lot when I first join this site, people (chatters) were complaining about their computer and how they struggle to log onto their computer, so upon finding out what they were struggling upon, I was able to help them solve their problems and one was to clean prefetch files, they were so happy that problem was solved. :) AND who said anything about window 7? They told me what OS they had and I don't use window 7. Not all computer use F5 work that way, so by using the arrow that look like a curve arrow will refresh your page, so don't "BTW star" me lol. After saying all that, fishy hope you don't get peeved off lol .... BTW fshy... if you care to look at the date I post it, you wouldn't be ...btw star... Those chatters didn't have OS 7!!
Read my post more carefully. There's a difference between prefetch, cache, cookies and OS's... and how they affect performance/speed. I only touched on the whole thing and did not write an entire, lengthy, detailed Fish-BYTES! article. Just a short synopsis..

I know you have a deep desire to respond to every single post, and possibly point out the apparent jealousy you feel I have of your knowledge... but it really isn't necessary. In fact, it shows your insecurity.

Maybe instead you should start your own column here as I've moved mine to another website? Just a "Hmmm" suggestion. Maybe even a more thorough examination and explanation about them (prefetching/caching/cookies) might make a good bit of research for you for your first article.

Here's a good start: http://www.howtogeek.com/173648/10-windows-tweaking-myths-debunked/

Peace, star... :)

-DF
stardaisy wrote: Thaaaat nice Fishy, but my anti virus clean that out for me (clean prefetch files). Some that were coming in here were having trouble, so to clean out their prefetch files actually help them, they were then able to go anywhere on the computer. AND even able to log onto this site without troubles. ]

Prefetch files (*.pf) are files stored for applications, not websites or webpages or chatting. They refer to applications and how fast they "open" for you. Applications like Word, your Anitvirus, etc.

'Tis best to do your research before you spout "knowledge"....

Sorry - I'm jealous of you :roll:

-DF
:roll: :roll: Sighhhh fishy, you misunderstood me, I didn't say it has anything to do with chatting, I said those chatters, when I first started chatting in the chatroom every night!! AND yes fishy, best to do your research before you start "btw star". Beside you were not a memeber of this site when I was helping those chatters :P Did you talk to those chatters??? Did you find out their results?? Well I did so there!!
Every night?!?

Dang, you ARE an expert! And quick to reply to all posts, too!

I bow to you... I am not worthy... :roll:

-DF
AAAWWW poor fishy
Daddy_Fish wrote: Read my post more carefully. There's a difference between prefetch, cache, cookies and OS's... and how they affect performance/speed. I only touched on the whole thing and did not write an entire, lengthy, detailed Fish-BYTES! article. Just a short synopsis..

I know you have a deep desire to respond to every single post, and possibly point out the apparent jealousy you feel I have of your knowledge... but it really isn't necessary. In fact, it shows your insecurity.

Maybe instead you should start your own column here as I've moved mine to another website? Just a "Hmmm" suggestion. Maybe even a more thorough examination and explanation about them (prefetching/caching/cookies) might make a good bit of research for you for your first article.

Here's a good start: http://www.howtogeek.com/173648/10-windows-tweaking-myths-debunked/

Peace, star... :)

-DF

I don't use Ccleaner, my anti virus does it all :) Insecurity???? don't have one but perhaps you do as you seem to come down on everything that I say about computers so who is insecure???? "nodding her head and rolling her eyes back and sighing all at the same time."