just home from trip to Cuba... very comfortable travelling alone. Interesting culture and places to visit....

hello, I just would like to ask a question, you are ok with travelling alone, have you always or was this something you got use to, I am from Canada, alone, 61, and would llike to travel, but am nervous about being alone.
Unsure, if you were looking at Cuba as a destination it is a very safe country and many hotels do not charge extra for single occupancy. The people are friendly, the beaches amazing but the only drawback seems to be the food. They are a very poor country and sometimes the food is repetitive and not as many choices so if you are very particular about food that is not the country for you.
I have been to Cuba a couple of times with my late husband. I would feel quite comfortable being in Varedaro alone

I flew for a job all over the country (USA) and once to Dubai - as a field technician/engineer for a company that built emergency backup power systems (inverters). 99% of the time I flew alone.

I'm a solitary person and enjoy being alone. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a companion or two to play ping-pong or swimming with or just to talk to... but I'm comfortable in my own skin.

When I graduated high school, I took my car and traveled to every state in the US. Then I got the job traveling by plane when I got home and got to see it all over again.

Traveling alone, to me, is a lot of fun. Meeting new people, experiencing new cultures (even state to state) and forming long distance friendships.

I'm all for it!

-DF
I am new to this site.  I have been to Cuba.  It is a lovely country and definitely very safe.  There are some international travel groups who organise trips with solo travellers so you could try them.  I am hoping to go to Vietnam and Burma in the coming months.  Travel is so educational and nice to meet people from other countries at the same time.
I am not new to this site but I was away for the last couple of months.
Has not being easy for me to make friends it has been a solo trip.
I am from Venezuela I know my country has the worst reputation of the world, but not all its citizens are bad. I am a senior post graduated bilingual traveled lady and would like to meet the wonderful persons that are out there also looking to have a good chat or a companion or a partner or a friend or want to learn some Spanish language or Latin-American culture. I want someone to join me in my solo travel...
I am looking for a female travel partner 
Solo travelling at times have its perks. One of which is that you will have your so called  "me" time.  If I am with a group of friends normally at least 5, they are the ones that I really know well. Just like in my last travel with my friends we went canyoneering and whaleshark diving but I had to go solo on our fourth day  because I had booked for a tandem skydive which I need to travel for another 5-6 hrs both land and ferry. 

Downside of solo travelling is you are at the mercy of asking other people to take my pictures.  And had to do those pose with a complete stranger.  Lol!! But otherwise its always a great adventure. 

And yes sometimes its nice to travel with an opposite number :) 
I'm curious to know how many straight men would travel with another man. I don't travel, so I'm just curious. I guess I'd like to know the same of women. I always traveled alone, but don't think it would make a difference to me. Traveling alone I got to go where I wanted to.
travelphoto wrote: just home from trip to Cuba... very comfortable travelling alone. Interesting culture and places to visit....

I am new here and enjoyed the travel posts.I have travelled widely, 3x to India for 6 months each time, to London UK and Isle of Wight, Scotland briefly, Paris, Portugal, Madrid and Nerja on the Costa del Sol Belize, Dominican Republic, Yucatan 2x, Ecuador,, Panama City, California, Florida, Nevada, Arizona, and every time alone.  I have sometimes met up with a friend or family member for a few days.I am a very curious person and almost work at my travel, learning the history, architecture, art and mixing or sometimes living with locals. I found it too hard with someone else because they did not have close enough interests to mine and I felt I had to choose to go my way or join them in what I thought was a boring trip. :(   Their short visits worked out. I find now that travel is exhausting but still want to go but would now like to have a companion. I have tended to stay 2 r more months in most places so we may go our separate ways for a while.  Look forward to seeing more here.  I am also a writer and hope to meet up with others.  
OnlyDavit wrote: I'm curious to know how many straight men would travel with another man. I don't travel, so I'm just curious. I guess I'd like to know the same of women. I always traveled alone, but don't think it would make a difference to me. Traveling alone I got to go where I wanted to.

I'm not sure why that would make any difference. Lots of friends travel together. I've been on several trips with women friends and met men traveling with their friends. As with anybody, you have to respect each other's boundaries and allow for alone time or if they meet someone and want to go for dinner or whatever.  Gay or straight, it makes no difference. 
No matter where i go, the 1st person i meet, is Myself,
If i dont like me, it would be hard to get on with others.

Sally's new name is, Musthavesally. 
While I agree it is important to value oneself, I also have to say that I don't like traveling alone for long periods of time -- a familiar face, and a friend to share experiences, when traveling unfamiliar territory is a comfort -- it makes the times when I go exploring on my own that much more enjoyable. Just my two cents.

As for Cuba: odd I suppose, but I have never had an interest in the place. I have heard from numerous people it is a great place. I am more European-centered in my travel interests.
Hey Brother, Ive done a lot of travel on my own,
and i agree with you, now it has become kinda tedious,
I now limit my alone times, anyway im mad enuf,
Even I wouldnt listen to me, Regards.