[img]Is it best to exercise first thing in the morning, or last thing at night?

Any suggestions [/img]
I have chosen to exercise first thing in the morning and also in early evening. I dont believe that the time of day will make that much of a difference. But bear in mind if you just want to maintain you exercise three times a week. To lose weight and reach a toning goal at least four. I was fond of the early morning and reached all my goals with that time slot. But I needed to switch to 5:00 pm to 7:00pm, and still reached my goals. The only difference was , first thing in the morning I had not put in a day working. Point is, just a slot you can stick too.
Laurie
Blue_Mountain wrote: [img]Is it best to exercise first thing in the morning, or last thing at night?

Any suggestions [/img]

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anat ... ercise.htm

Hi,

Lady is correct as ever, she is wise.

I sent you a link above. Research currently points to late afternoon as being best for body but as Lady says, if you can't fit it into your lifestyle you won't keep it up, so you take charge.

Good luck, remember use it or lose it :)

x
Bottom line, find some that you will stick to.....in this it will work.
Laurie
Thanks for the suggestions and research .

I teach yoga morning and evening so I guess I get benefits one way or the other but perhaps I should start an afternoon class... I know at least one of my evening students sleeps better, but perhaps the morning class is the perfect tonic to energise you for the rest of the day?

Considering that yoga is range of motion, it would done first thing in the morning, work out those muscles. With the controlled breathing and stretching, It would be a great way to begin the work day.
Laurie
I love how every one on the internet is expert at everything. Can any one advise me how to do the rasgiado on Flamenco guitar. I have tried for 25 years and I still can't do it properly. It is a strenuous exercise. :lol:
Broadcaster wrote: I love how every one on the internet is expert at everything. Can any one advise me how to do the rasgiado on Flamenco guitar. I have tried for 25 years and I still can't do it properly. It is a strenuous exercise. :lol:

We all have our limitations Broadcaster! Personally I find that exercise for its own sake is rather boring. I much prefer natural exercise through sport, long walks, gardening and general housework! :) My son is a guitarist so I will ask him if he can help with the rasgiado!
Maybe it is better in the morning, but some people prefer the evening too because some people have more time after their work. I thing the hour is not important, the important is that people want to do it... If you can have people for the afternoon too, so it is good too... Why not? Go for it... My recipe to lose weight, just eat less fat, cut out sugar and a little exercise ... that's all... Yoga seems good too... I never try... :) Chokko x
I suppose whichever time is comfortable/suitable for you ..I like to get through the day's activities and concentrate on working out late afternoon/early evening,then stretching,showering ,eventually going to bed at around 10.30.
I work out late before taken a bath and going to bed.. right after I play the guitar for couple of hours.. but I am retired.. so I set my training schedule.. :lol: .. I really work out before I take a shower.. plus I do play the guitar.. plus I do sleep well.. sound.. I not sure if it is the work out or the scotch.. :)
Lou you are such a comic.  Am always looking to see what you got to say next.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think when you do it is as important as just doing it - period. We've become such a sedentary society. They used to say first thing in the morning was the absolute best time. Really? Because I'm not a morning person and I'm sure I'd do serious harm to myself. I have one fitness class on Tues at 10 and one on Thurs at 1.  I'm just happy to be doing something and in between I walk my dog. He's old now. He's not a morning dog. We go when it's warm enough and in the summer in the evening when it's cool enough. Just DO it and do it properly.
I'm no expert, but have lost 26lbs in just two months by cutting out all sugar, starchy carbs, fast food, fried foods, and processed foods. Basically I eat only fresh and healthy choices like fruits, vegies, lots of protein and fiber. All from natural sources not a packaged box. I also work out 5 days a week. In the evening since I'm unable to do it in the day time hours. Change up your exercise routine to keep your body guessing and so you don't get bored and end up giving up. I recently read that racquetball actually burns more calories than an elliptical or treadmill, so I do that for an hour now and a little less time on the machines.
I don't think the time of day matters so long as you do something, you do it right, and you eat properly. No one thing is going to work for everyone. Just find what works for you and do it.